Foreign Individuals Visiting the U.S.

At both the state and federal level, the United States enforces very strict tax laws — and in turn, very harsh penalties for those who violate them. As a result, it is critically important to make sure that you remain in compliance with the law when visiting the US.

Tax law is already complex, and when you’re an international visitor, the rules and regulations can become even more complicated.  At the same time, even a seemingly minor error or violation can have devastating effects on your immigration status, your finances, your employment, and your everyday life.  If you’re planning on entering the United States, it is critically important to work with a knowledgeable CPA to make sure your transition is smooth, efficient, and in accordance with all pertinent tax regulations as a foreign investor or taxpayer.

Time is of the essence where tax law is concerned, and missing a deadline could have long-lasting negative repercussions, so don’t wait until it’s already too late.  To set up a private consultation, call CPA Ted Kleinman at (541) 923-0903 today.

Handshake 300x200 - Foreign Individuals Visiting the U.S.

International Services US Tax Help Offers

Ted Kleinman CPA has more than 30 years of experience helping foreign visitors to the United States prepare their taxes. US Tax Help specializes in international clients, and offers services and consultations including but not limited to::

  • Constructive Receipt Evaluation.  Constructive receipts determine whether you received gross income and are liable for income credited to your account.
  • Foreign Tax Credit Analysis.  Are you eligible for credits or deductions on foreign income taxes? Foreign tax representation can help you find out.
  • Payroll and HR Coordination.  US Tax Help takes care of coordinating your paperwork so that no documentation falls through the cracks. Our business tax resources can become a primary asset for your company.
  • Preparation of Income Tax Returns.  If a tax return is prepared incorrectly and contains inaccurate data, you can be penalized by the IRS.
  • Severance Arrangement Consultations.  Some severance arrangements are more favorable than others.  Are you getting the best agreement possible?
  • Taxable Income Determinations.  Not all types of income are taxable.  Which elements of your income are subject to income tax?  Which are not?
  • Tax Equalization and Protection Programs.  People who pay taxes in one country but work in another may be subject to tax equalization, which tries to balance costs abroad with costs at home toward a neutral end result.
  • Totalization Agreements.  The US has enacted Totalization Agreements with two dozen nations around the world, including France, Germany, Australia, Switzerland, and Japan. These agreements influence which sorts of taxes you are subject to, including Social Security and Medicare.

Whether you want to maximize your deductions, determine your tax home, or need advice about making an advantageous fringe benefits decision, US Tax Help is ready to assist.

Tax Forms 300x200 - Foreign Individuals Visiting the U.S.

How Being a US Resident or Nonresident Affects Your Taxes

One of the first steps toward compliance is filing a timely and accurate tax return, which means you must make a determination about whether you are designated as a resident or nonresident for US tax purposes.

It is important to understand that your tax residency status is a completely separate matter from your immigration status.  For example, you may simultaneously qualify as a US resident for tax purposes, while remaining a nonimmigrant alien for immigration purposes. Additionally, if you are classified as both a resident and nonresident during the same year, you are what’s called a dual status alien, and must abide by a special set of rules and regulations.

If you are a resident for US tax purposes, you fall under the same rules and file the same forms as a US citizen. That means you pay tax on your worldwide income, and not just income sourced from the United States.  Alternately, if you are a nonresident, you will file a special tax form, pay tax only on US source income, be subject to special rates, and may also qualify for treaty exemptions.

Whether you are a resident, nonresident, or dual-status alien, Ted Kleinman can help.  To schedule a confidential consultation, call US Tax Help right away at (541) 923-0903, or contact us online.  Let’s start exploring your financial options.

6 Common Taxpayer Mistakes