Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers

Taxpayer Identification Numbers, or TINs, are nine-digit numbers which are issued by either the IRS or the Social Security Administration. While all TINs are used to identify taxpayers, there are several different types of TINs which may be issued.  One of these types is called an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or ITIN.  ITINs are used in cases where an individual is required to have a form of taxpayer identification, but is not eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration.  If you cannot obtain an SSN, you must use an ITIN instead.

Successfully applying for an ITIN is critically important to ensuring full compliance with US tax laws.  If you are required to report income and fail to do so, you face the possibility of an IRS criminal investigation which could lead to serious penalties and interest.  Don’t expose yourself to the risk of prosecution simply because you don’t have the ITIN you need for disclosure purposes — let US Tax Help help you get started.

Ted Kleinman CPA has over 30 years of experience, and will guide you through the application process from start to finish so that you can feel confident you’re in total accordance with the law.

Time is of the essence where tax compliance is concerned, so don’t wait until a crucial deadline passes you by.  To set up a confidential consultation with US Tax Help, call me right away at (541) 923-0903.

Financial 300x200 - Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers

Why Choose US Tax Help for Your ITIN?

Ted Kleinman is an IRS-contracted Acceptance Agent, and is qualified to help individuals who are ineligible for SSNs obtain ITINs for federal tax purposes.  As an Acceptance Agent, Ted Kleinman is authorized to review and submit taxpayer documents, and is uniquely positioned to make IRS inquiries so that the application process is as smooth, convenient, and efficient as possible.

US Tax Help will prepare your tax and disclosure forms as part of a separate engagement, and will conduct a comprehensive review of all documentation to ensure timeliness and accuracy.  Ted Kleinman specializes in international tax services, and offers hassle-free Skype interviews so that you can resolve your tax issues without ever having to leave the comfort of your own home.

How to Apply for an ITIN

If you fall into any of the following categories and don’t otherwise qualify for an SSN, you will need an ITIN:

  • You are a US resident alien who plans to file a US tax return.
  • You are a nonresident alien who must file a US tax return.
  • You are the dependent or spouse of a US citizen or resident alien.
  • You are the dependent or spouse of a nonresident alien visa holder.

In order to obtain an ITIN with assistance from US Tax Help, you’ll need to start the process by downloading copies of two important IRS documents:

Publication 1915, also called Understanding Your IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is not an application or form.  It is a comprehensive, purely informational guide, and covers topics like who needs to apply, how long the process takes, and instructions for completing Form W-7.

Form W-7, also called the Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is precisely what the name describes.  It is a one-page form which will ask you to supply information such as your birth information, immigration status, and name and address.

You’ll need to read through Publication 1915, and then to complete and sign the W-7 in draft form.  US Tax Help will review the preliminary W-7 you prepare, and will address any discrepancies or errors if need be. When you send me your W-7, you should also include a color copy of your passport with certification available from the US Embassy or issuing authority.  If that proves difficult, a recorded Skype camera interview can be arranged to ensure the authenticity of your supporting documents.

Once US Tax Help receives and confirms the validity of your W-7 form and passport, Ted Kleinman will file the ITIN application and supporting documentation with the ITIN Unit in Austin, Texas.  Typically speaking, processing will take about two to four weeks.  Once the application is processed, the ITIN will be sent to US Tax Help.  We will notify you of your new ITIN number, and will also forward the original ITIN to the address you specify.

If you think you may need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, US Tax Help can walk you through the process.  To get started with a private consultation, call me today at (541) 923-0903, or contact US Tax Help online. 

6 Common Taxpayer Mistakes